History records that c.1843 a tract of Garvald land was donated and a Free Church building erected, with the tower being added later. The Parish and Free Church congregations united in 1929, and this building then became known as the church hall.
When no longer required for its original purpose, a Village Hall Trust was formed and the building purchased from the former owners. All day-to-day running and maintenance of the hall now rests with a Committee of Management. Today, thanks to the considerable efforts of past and present Committees, the building has benefited from many upgrades including re-roofing, a new toilet block and an excellent kitchen facility.
Alas, the wrought iron gates and railings erected at the entrance to the drive are long gone. Can you spot where the bee boles are in the south-facing wall (see the photo below)?
The hall really does belong to the community. Everything that has been achieved in past years is due to the good fortune of not only benefiting from generous grants but superb ongoing support from local residents. Importantly there has been considerable work in practical ways carried out by individuals, without which the Hall would not be the splendid facility we can now enjoy. To ensure this wonderful amenity is maintained for generations to come, the Hall will continue to depend on the involvement of local people giving their time and talents. Financial support will, of course, also be an essential part.
We are delighted that such a splendid venue, in a lovely rural setting, is available for use by local residents and non-residents; all are welcome. It can be hired for meetings, classes, children’s parties, wedding receptions, ceilidhs and many other recreational or leisure pursuits. It is a vital part of the community – a venue bringing social events for everyone to enjoy.
If you are interested in hiring the hall basic details can be found within these pages, including a number of photos. However there is no substitute for coming to see the real thing, and perhaps spending a day in Garvald – one of East Lothian’s hidden gems.
Garvald Village Hall Trust is a registered charity.