The Lord Lieutenant is appointed by The Queen and acts as Her Majesty’s representative in East Lothian. His main duties include:
- arranging visits of members of the royal family and escorting royal visitors
- presenting medals/awards on behalf of the Queen if the recipient is unable to attend an Investiture
- presenting congratulatory messages from the Queen to those celebrating their 100th birthday or diamond (60th) wedding anniversary
- participating in the civic, voluntary and social activity within the Lieutenancy
- liaising with local cadet forces
- recommending people for invitation to Her Majesty’s Garden Parties at the Palace of Holyroodhouse
For more information on the Lord Lieutenant and how to nominate someone for the Queen’s Garden Party (nominate by January) or to notify of an upcoming 60th wedding anniversary, please see: http://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/772/politicians_elections_and_democracy/1619/lord-lieutenant.