Garvald is a pretty little East Lothian village, lying South-East of Haddington, South of East Linton and East of Gifford. It sits in a valley at the foot of the Lammermuir Hills, and alongside a burn called the Papana Water, on what was an historic route from the Borders to the coast. The village is built almost entirely from red sandstone giving the village a distinctive character. There are many listed buildings and the village itself has been given conservation status.
At the East end of the village stands Garvald and Bara Parish Church, which was built in the 1100s but remodelled in 1829. It is bright and airy inside, and still used for worship every other weekend. At the West end sits the former Free Kirk, with its free-standing bell tower, which is now the village hall. In between these two buildings there are a collection of private houses. There is a small village green, and opposite that, the Garvald Inn and a large community park, woodland and childrens’ play area. More information on Garvald can be found on Wikipedia and village photos are in the Gallery. For an aerial photograph of the village, see the ScotlandsPlaces website.
The photograph below was taken by local resident Graham Barnes for World Pinhole Photography Day on 29th April 2012, using a modern digital camera fitted with a plastic body cap (with a homemade pinhole) rather than using a lens. This results in slightly out-of-focus but artistic images. Another of the images taken in the village (called Whhoosh!) was selected for the World Pinhole Photography Day 2012 international exhibition.
Before this website was set up, a regular edition of the Garvald and Morham Village Newsletter kept residents informed. Some of the previous editions are available here in PDF format. If you require Adobe Reader to view the document, click the link below to download the Reader software.