Growers, makers, bakers – the 2018 Show Schedule is now up on the Garvald website (hard copies will be posted through doors in May) –
For the less competitive out there, why not bring along anything you have grown, made or baked for the new ‘Anything goes’ display table?
For primary school children – have a go at growing your own tatties for the Show! Seed potatoes are available from Jo Robertson, for planting SOON in April/early May.
Green-fingered Garvaldians take note!
George Anderson will be judging again at this year’s Village Show. So if you’re looking for some tips, get along to Gardener’s Question Time in Gifford this Wednesday evening, 7pm where George will be on the panel along with Stan DePrato, a pot plant and alpine specialist, Beryl McNaughton from Macplants and Jim Williams, renowned vegetable grower.
Watch this space for the Show Schedule! And save the date – Saturday 25th August.
Here is the Gifford Horti latest Newsletter and just to let you know that George Anderson will be visiting Gifford to answer your gardening questions on 14th March. All welcome.
Our AGM is this Wednesday, 8th November at 7.30pm. All are welcome. Do come along if you have ideas for next year’s village show.
Raffle prizes to collect from the Village Show…
Ooops! – we’ve just found left over prizes from the village show raffle. If you still have tickets (and you haven’t washed last Saturday’s trousers!) please check – you could be the lucky winner of fig chutney, bag of smarties or a bottle of Seven Giraffes beer.
Here are the prize winning numbers…
If not collected they will be recycled into next village raffle. Contact Jo on 830685 or via the contact form.
What a great afternoon – thanks to all our volunteer helpers and to everyone who came along and enjoyed the show and brought along their competition entries – 283 in total this year! Full results are available on the GHS page.
Here is a photo of the very well behaved and under control four-footed members of our community (and handlers).
Congratulations to all our trophy winners:
- GHS Industrial Trophy for most points in Industrial sections – Hazel Clark
- GHS Cookery Challenge Cup for most outstanding exhibit – Hazel Clark
- GHS Ladies Challenge Trophy for most outstanding exhibit in Handicraft section – Kathleen Harrison
- Audrey Mae Traynor Cup for the best hand-knitted exhibit – Helen Thomson
- Sancta Maria Abbey Cup for best photograph – Lee Robertson
- GHS Challenge Cup for the most outstanding veg/fruit exhibit – Dougie Clark
- J.K.Webster Rose Shield for the best rose exhibit – John Sheldon
- James Hardie Cup for the best Gladioli exhibit – John Sheldon
- Smithy Shield for the best sweet pea exhibit – John Sheldon
- J.K.Webster Shield for best beetroot – Dougie Clark
- Cardinal Gordon Gray salver for best entry for Basket of Vegetables – Dougie Clark
- Village Show Cup (Pre School Children) for most points – Archie Edmonds
- Village Show Trophy (Pre School Children) for most outstanding exhibit – Archie Edmonds
- Garvald & Morham Community Council Cup (Ages 5 to 8) – Evie Houston
- The Bette Pratt Memorial Quaich (Ages 5 to 8) for the most outstanding exhibit – Katie Freeland
- Tanderlane Cup (Ages 9 to 12) for the most points – Libby Ballantine
- Alice Lawrie Trophy (Ages 9 to 12) for the most outstanding exhibit – Euan Evatt
- Floral Art Trophy For the most points – Fiona Sheldon
- Cameron Cup for Best Floral Art exhibit – Fiona Sheldon
- GHS Salver for most points in show – Hazel Clark
- NOVELTY “Perfectly imperfect” vegetable – John Sheldon
LAST CALL FOR HELPERS
Just a reminder that we need some help on Thursday 24th at 7pm to set up the tables and again at the end of the show (many hands make light work). Thank you!
Friday staging is 7-9pm and Saturday 8-10am (not 7.30am as before). Entries must be in by 10am sharp! The schedule is on the GHS page.
CALL FOR DONATIONS AND SET UP HELP
It’s nearly SHOW TIME – and this year we are delighted to welcome George Anderson of the Beechgrove Garden as part of the judging team. No pressure there then for all you growers out there!
As usual we are looking for:
- Donations for the raffle – bring on the day
- Donations of home baking – including any show entries that didn’t turn out as planned…(please leave in the kitchen)
- Children (and the odd parent) to do a stint on teas
- Help on Thursday 24th at 7pm to set up the tables and again at the end (many hands make light work)
If you are able to help/donate please leave Jo a message on 830 685 or use the contact form.
Friday staging is 7-9pm and Saturday 8-10am (not 7.30am as before). Entries must be in by 10am sharp!
The schedule is on the GHS page.
We look forward to lots of entries and a dry afternoon!
Time to think about your competition entries…
2017 Show Schedule
Garvald Village 2017 Show Schedule is now available on the Garvald Horticultural Society webpage. New categories for 2017 include honey; yoghurt; the photography category ‘winter scene’; a ‘harvest’ themed floral art category; and castle building, butterfly art and treehouse design in the children’s classes. Also there is a chance for novice growers in a new novelty section; ‘perfectly imperfect vegetable’!