Our AGM is this Wednesday, 8th November at 7.30pm. All are welcome. Do come along if you have ideas for next year’s village show.
Raffle prizes to collect from the Village Show…
Ooops! – we’ve just found left over prizes from the village show raffle. If you still have tickets (and you haven’t washed last Saturday’s trousers!) please check – you could be the lucky winner of fig chutney, bag of smarties or a bottle of Seven Giraffes beer.
Here are the prize winning numbers…
If not collected they will be recycled into next village raffle. Contact Jo on 830685 or via the contact form.
What a great afternoon – thanks to all our volunteer helpers and to everyone who came along and enjoyed the show and brought along their competition entries – 283 in total this year! Full results are available on the GHS page.
Here is a photo of the very well behaved and under control four-footed members of our community (and handlers).
Congratulations to all our trophy winners:
- GHS Industrial Trophy for most points in Industrial sections – Hazel Clark
- GHS Cookery Challenge Cup for most outstanding exhibit – Hazel Clark
- GHS Ladies Challenge Trophy for most outstanding exhibit in Handicraft section – Kathleen Harrison
- Audrey Mae Traynor Cup for the best hand-knitted exhibit – Helen Thomson
- Sancta Maria Abbey Cup for best photograph – Lee Robertson
- GHS Challenge Cup for the most outstanding veg/fruit exhibit – Dougie Clark
- J.K.Webster Rose Shield for the best rose exhibit – John Sheldon
- James Hardie Cup for the best Gladioli exhibit – John Sheldon
- Smithy Shield for the best sweet pea exhibit – John Sheldon
- J.K.Webster Shield for best beetroot – Dougie Clark
- Cardinal Gordon Gray salver for best entry for Basket of Vegetables – Dougie Clark
- Village Show Cup (Pre School Children) for most points – Archie Edmonds
- Village Show Trophy (Pre School Children) for most outstanding exhibit – Archie Edmonds
- Garvald & Morham Community Council Cup (Ages 5 to 8) – Evie Houston
- The Bette Pratt Memorial Quaich (Ages 5 to 8) for the most outstanding exhibit – Katie Freeland
- Tanderlane Cup (Ages 9 to 12) for the most points – Libby Ballantine
- Alice Lawrie Trophy (Ages 9 to 12) for the most outstanding exhibit – Euan Evatt
- Floral Art Trophy For the most points – Fiona Sheldon
- Cameron Cup for Best Floral Art exhibit – Fiona Sheldon
- GHS Salver for most points in show – Hazel Clark
- NOVELTY “Perfectly imperfect” vegetable – John Sheldon
Just a reminder that we need some help on Thursday 24th at 7pm to set up the tables and again at the end of the show (many hands make light work). Thank you!
Friday staging is 7-9pm and Saturday 8-10am (not 7.30am as before). Entries must be in by 10am sharp! The schedule is on the GHS page.
CALL FOR DONATIONS AND SET UP HELP
It’s nearly SHOW TIME – and this year we are delighted to welcome George Anderson of the Beechgrove Garden as part of the judging team. No pressure there then for all you growers out there!
As usual we are looking for:
- Donations for the raffle – bring on the day
- Donations of home baking – including any show entries that didn’t turn out as planned…(please leave in the kitchen)
- Children (and the odd parent) to do a stint on teas
- Help on Thursday 24th at 7pm to set up the tables and again at the end (many hands make light work)
If you are able to help/donate please leave Jo a message on 830 685 or use the contact form.
Friday staging is 7-9pm and Saturday 8-10am (not 7.30am as before). Entries must be in by 10am sharp!
The schedule is on the GHS page.
We look forward to lots of entries and a dry afternoon!
Garvald Village 2017 Show Schedule is now available on the Garvald Horticultural Society webpage. New categories for 2017 include honey; yoghurt; the photography category ‘winter scene’; a ‘harvest’ themed floral art category; and castle building, butterfly art and treehouse design in the children’s classes. Also there is a chance for novice growers in a new novelty section; ‘perfectly imperfect vegetable’!
Bulb planting is ON for the next two weekends…!
The bulbs have arrived and are sprouting – so calling all volunteers to help with planting them along the path in the park. We will be planting this Sunday 22nd 2-4pm and the following Saturday 28th 10-12noon.
Many hands make light work (oh and please bring a spade)!
Bring a spade…Gorilla gardening in Garvald
With proceeds from last year’s Village Show, Garvald Horticultural Society has bought (through East Lothian Council at our request), 2000 crocus and daffodil bulbs for the park. All we need to do now is plant them! The Council will shortly mark out the areas for planting along the path, then its all hands on deck. With circa 200 population – that’s 10 bulbs per person!
We anticipate planting late January – snow/permafrost etc permitting – for first full display next Spring (although if the weather stays mild we may get a few blooms this year from the daffs).
Watch this space for the time and date. Any questions – call Jo (685)
Thank you to all the marvellous helpers and supporters at the Village Show 2016. We had people come and help set up, bake cakes for the afternoon teas, bring their exhibits and tidy up afterwards. A big thank you to those children who did a superb job of serving the teas in the tent. Thank you to all of you who came to support the show, making it a very enjoyable event. With the sunny weather there was buzzing atmosphere in the orchard teas tent and a fab pet show to enjoy. Photos have been added to the gallery and the results will be published soon. Well done to all category winners and the trophy winners. We hope to see you again next year. And if you enjoyed the show, you are welcome to come to the AGM in October and offer your assistance for next year’s show. Thank you for your support.