In recent weeks there have been two fire-raising incidents in and around the village hall. The first involved the contents of a bin outside the hall being set alight on the evening of 5th November. At the time it was not clear whether this was deliberate or accidental.
On Wednesday evening (25th November) at approximately 5.45pm a fire was deliberately started in the bin in the gents toilet inside the hall. At the time the hall was occupied by a drama class involving 15 six to eight year old children and their two teachers. The fire generated significant smoke and resulted in the fire alarm activating and the hall being evacuated. Although the evacuation was undertaken quickly and efficiently both the children and their teachers were understandably distressed.
The police attended the incident. They gathered evidence and took statements. They will now undertake further enquiries in an effort to identify the person or persons responsible. If you have any information that may assist them in their enquiries please contact the police.
In an effort to prevent any further criminal incidents the installation of surveillance cameras will be considered.