We had forgotten that the fancy dress party is arranged for the 7th of October, so the wine tasting is postponed until later in the year.
Raffle prizes to collect from the Village Show…
Ooops! – we’ve just found left over prizes from the village show raffle. If you still have tickets (and you haven’t washed last Saturday’s trousers!) please check – you could be the lucky winner of fig chutney, bag of smarties or a bottle of Seven Giraffes beer.
Here are the prize winning numbers…
If not collected they will be recycled into next village raffle. Contact Jo on 830685 or via the contact form.
What a great afternoon – thanks to all our volunteer helpers and to everyone who came along and enjoyed the show and brought along their competition entries – 283 in total this year! Full results are available on the GHS page.
Here is a photo of the very well behaved and under control four-footed members of our community (and handlers).
Congratulations to all our trophy winners:
- GHS Industrial Trophy for most points in Industrial sections – Hazel Clark
- GHS Cookery Challenge Cup for most outstanding exhibit – Hazel Clark
- GHS Ladies Challenge Trophy for most outstanding exhibit in Handicraft section – Kathleen Harrison
- Audrey Mae Traynor Cup for the best hand-knitted exhibit – Helen Thomson
- Sancta Maria Abbey Cup for best photograph – Lee Robertson
- GHS Challenge Cup for the most outstanding veg/fruit exhibit – Dougie Clark
- J.K.Webster Rose Shield for the best rose exhibit – John Sheldon
- James Hardie Cup for the best Gladioli exhibit – John Sheldon
- Smithy Shield for the best sweet pea exhibit – John Sheldon
- J.K.Webster Shield for best beetroot – Dougie Clark
- Cardinal Gordon Gray salver for best entry for Basket of Vegetables – Dougie Clark
- Village Show Cup (Pre School Children) for most points – Archie Edmonds
- Village Show Trophy (Pre School Children) for most outstanding exhibit – Archie Edmonds
- Garvald & Morham Community Council Cup (Ages 5 to 8) – Evie Houston
- The Bette Pratt Memorial Quaich (Ages 5 to 8) for the most outstanding exhibit – Katie Freeland
- Tanderlane Cup (Ages 9 to 12) for the most points – Libby Ballantine
- Alice Lawrie Trophy (Ages 9 to 12) for the most outstanding exhibit – Euan Evatt
- Floral Art Trophy For the most points – Fiona Sheldon
- Cameron Cup for Best Floral Art exhibit – Fiona Sheldon
- GHS Salver for most points in show – Hazel Clark
- NOVELTY “Perfectly imperfect” vegetable – John Sheldon
Just a reminder that we need some help on Thursday 24th at 7pm to set up the tables and again at the end of the show (many hands make light work). Thank you!
Friday staging is 7-9pm and Saturday 8-10am (not 7.30am as before). Entries must be in by 10am sharp! The schedule is on the GHS page.
A grand day for all last Saturday. Photos supplied by Lee Robertson, thank you! More in the Funday 2017 Gallery.
CALL FOR DONATIONS AND SET UP HELP
It’s nearly SHOW TIME – and this year we are delighted to welcome George Anderson of the Beechgrove Garden as part of the judging team. No pressure there then for all you growers out there!
As usual we are looking for:
- Donations for the raffle – bring on the day
- Donations of home baking – including any show entries that didn’t turn out as planned…(please leave in the kitchen)
- Children (and the odd parent) to do a stint on teas
- Help on Thursday 24th at 7pm to set up the tables and again at the end (many hands make light work)
If you are able to help/donate please leave Jo a message on 830 685 or use the contact form.
Friday staging is 7-9pm and Saturday 8-10am (not 7.30am as before). Entries must be in by 10am sharp!
The schedule is on the GHS page.
We look forward to lots of entries and a dry afternoon!
A quick reminder that the fun day is this Saturday so please come along and join in the fun! Remember your boats for the boat race and get ready for the races at 2pm and the football at 3pm.
We could do with some helpers for the refreshments and stalls as well some home baking and raffle prizes. If you can help with any of this please get in touch with Penny (firstname.lastname@example.org)
At the fun day on the 12th of August we’re hoping to organise races and football games for children & adults. The plan is for a children’s staggered start (based on age) hill race at 2pm followed by an adult’s race up the same hill. At 3pm we hope to have a children’s football game followed by a game for adults.
The hill race will be a mad dash from the bottom of the Hall drive to the top of the hill behind the Hall and back again. We’ll decide on teams for the football games on the day but will aim for a “Garvald v The Rest of the World” approach if possible. There will be prizes for the winners of the races and medals for all the kids taking part in the football games.
In order for this to be a success we need people to take part and get a feel for the numbers, so please come along and join the fun, spread the word and contact the people below if interested. Obviously both the races and football are open to everyone – girls & boys of all abilities.
Races: Eric Easton (email@example.com, 01620 830380)
Football: Roy Evatt (firstname.lastname@example.org, 01620 830270)
The Garvald Fun Day organisers would be delighted to receive any donations towards the tombola stall. We are looking for items in good condition for both adults and children so any unwanted gifts/smellies and toys would be great. You can drop-off your donations to Shirley Evatt, Jo Robertson or Viki Freeland or alternatively call Shirley on 830270 to arrange drop-off/collection, ideally by 5th August.